INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TRANSACTIONS LAW PRACTICE
We have worked with a large number of clients ranging from startups to major, publicly traded, global corporations on • information technology and intellectual property transactions, including licensing, development, subscription, managed services, outsourcing, and master agreements • e-commerce transactions • confidentiality and non-disclosure issues • domain name, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets • data privacy, information & cyber security, and related compliance • terms of service, acceptable use, and related policies.
• Represented a software development company to review and negotiate master service agreements for licenses, SaaS, and subscriptions with company and government entity clients, including Bank of America, American Airlines, Google, Amazon, and the U.S. Postal Service.
• Reviewed data privacy agreements, information security agreements, and data processing agreements for managed services provider client to ensure compliance with its clients’ requirements.
• Assisted and advised a tech transfer venture involving UNC-Charlotte’s Charlotte Research Institute and their joint development of a predictive analytics system for sale to the U.S. Department of Defense.
• Coordinated with operations, sales, and financial areas of enterprise technology company to develop and negotiate master agreements for sale of SaaS subscriptions, client-hosted licenses, and custom development services.
• Advised founders of non-profit organization on sale of intellectual property assets to major enterprise software company and disposition of proceeds from sale of IP.
BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL, AND CORPORATE LAW PRACTICE
We have represented clients on • choice of entity, organization, ownership, and capitalization • shareholder and member transactions and corporate governance • debt and private securities financing • customer and vendor contracts and commercial transactions • employment, non-competition, and independent contractor agreements • joint ventures and strategic alliances and • mergers & acquisitions.
• Represented owner of aviation fixed base operator in organization of spin-off entity to establish a web-based aviation asset auction marketplace; prepared corporate and Reg D, Rule 506 private placement documents and administered securities offering.
• Worked with investor to negotiate with founders of limited partnership to convert the form of entity to limited liability company and reorganize and recapitalize the company in down-round financing that involved buyout of foreign investor; served as outside corporate counsel of resulting entity.
• Represented developer and manufacturer of disposable medical device on securities financing; prepared private placement memorandum, administered securities offering, and developed associated commercial contracts.
• Assisted client with securing, negotiating, and closing SBA loan and acquisition of ongoing business and real estate with proceeds from SBA credit facility.
MANAGEMENT AND FINANCIAL SERVICES EXPERIENCE
• Completed management training program with major national bank.
• Managed bank branch sales, marketing, loans, deposits, operations, security, controls, compliance, audit, and human resources • Negotiated workout loans with borrowers • Relocated branch to new market • Reorganized branch following staff embezzlement.
• Planned and managed all aspects of relocation of 25 attorney firm, including building up-fit and systems migration
• Organized and established technology-focused law firm and managed all firm business and operations then merged the firm with Am Law 200 law firm to establish acquiring firm’s startup and technology practice in Charlotte.
• Interim Executive Director of non-profit business organization under executive lease arrangement • Led and implemented reorganization, conceived and developed new brand name re-branding concepts.